Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Beginner needs help

  1. #1
    Inactive Member geoffg's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2001
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Can anyone advise where I can learn how to use my EWS64? I'm looking for a sort of 'dummies guide'. Assume I know nothing about synths and inputs and outputs etc. because the supplied manuals have baffled me completely! I have an EWS64 with Cubase VST5 and a dumb midi keyboard. I can do the basic stuff like play into cubase, but sometimes I cant get the music to play at all. HEEELLLLLPPPP...

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Arnoud de Jong's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've been looking at your posting quite some time now in order to see if anyone would react. To be honest: I think you're asking to much from your fellow users here. The best way to get hands on your EWS and Cubase is to study the respective manuals carefully. In case you don't have the manuals:
    * If you bought the EWS second hand and you didn't get the manual, write a humble email tot [email protected] and maybe they have one for you.
    * If you don't have a Cubase manual, there are books about it. And you probably have a cracked version then (that's the price you pay for illegal versions ;-) )
    I also suggest you try a 'lite' version of Cubase first. And read books about Midi.
    I'm afraid this is all we can do for you at this moment.
    Good luck,
    Arnoud.

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Arnoud de Jong's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Exclamation

    Hi all,
    I got an email from Geoff and he told me he had legal copies of both items. In my former posting I made a funny suggestion about illegal copies, so when this is clearly not the case, it's fair towards him to publish this fact as well.
    Geoff has already a rather good understanding of Cubase, but has some difficulties with the the interaction between Cubase and the EWS (haven't we all? wink ). So I would like to call upon you to help him out with concrete questions.
    Arnoud.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Antikal's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13th, 2001
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My first encounter with the Terratec guys went extremely well. As I mentioned in another post I bought mine used.

    I sent an email message to Terratec asking if I should and could still register my product. It came without the stickers with the registration number. I explained how I got it, stated the serial number and Kurt Fischer kindly replied with a registration number I could use on the website.

    Excellent!

    I hope this forum and the guys at Terratec will make me a devoted user. I look forward to toying around with it.

    Now all I need is *time* to do so....

    *Sigh*

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Boye's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2000
    Posts
    30
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I warmly recommend you read some of the EWS digests.
    http://home.online.no/~kevinb/Support/Digest.exe

    The package is 5MB large and contains about 20MB worth of reading material. Should prove usefull I think, since the list was quite, shall we say, interesting at times smile

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner Arnoud de Jong's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Hey Kevin, I didn't know you had this! Good work! But what are you doing to this guy?
    That's enough homework to make him dump his EWS instantly wink
    The very reason I started the EWS Stress Control Panel is that I wanted to bring some structure in all the information that was posted in the email digest. So I would suggest that he first uses the search function on www.ews64.com and read some articles at the same site. When that doesn't solve his problems he can always start digging the digest wink
    Nice to hear from you again, btw.
    Arnoud.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Boye's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2000
    Posts
    30
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    oops smile You got a point there LOL smile

    Which reminds me - glad this site is still up. The day this site dies, the EWS64 dies with it for sure.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member geoffg's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2001
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    From scratch - I can't play my midi keyboard directly to EWS (without using a sequencer) - right? Or if I can only via Ed!son - and then without doing some fancy convertion I can't select the various General Midi sound set. (although I can play fancy synth stuff via Ed!son).
    Ok when I load Cubase - it doesn't seem to recognise the GM sound set - I just get a basic piano or the Ed!son instrument - and no patches - What do I have to do to get Cubase to recognise the GM sound set?

    Thanks for your feedback

    ------------------
    Geoff

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Boye's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2000
    Posts
    30
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi smile

    I was under the impression one had to, once inside Cubase, select a MIDI channel, then an instrument in a bank for that channel. Then whenever you selected that channel, keyboard inputs would sound the respective instrument. Much like Ed!son, altough you have to manually select the instrument before playing (as piano is the default).

    It's been some time since I've used it so I may be wrong.

    ------------------

  10. #10
    Inactive Member geoffg's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2001
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes at last I found it too. The key is to realise that in Cubase the GM set is not loaded automatically. After searching the online manuals I found the answer is to do the following within Cubase:
    Select - Instrument, Setup Instrument, click on the pull down for Patchname Source and select Patch Name Script, Then click on Patchname Device and select the appropriate GM set.

    Now all I have to do is work out how to get them to load automatically.

    Thanks to everyone - I now have loads to read!

    ------------------
    Geoff

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •